Monday, October 19, 2009

Can Journalism Survive?

As a journalism student, I grow uneasy in each passing week. It seems that at least one newspaper a week has been closing down their operations during this recession. As someone who once dreamed of covering the Super Bowl for ESPN, I find myself wondering if I'll be able to land a job covering high school football. But despite the gloomy forecast predicted by the oh-so-knowledgeable pundits, I feel that the field of journalism will emerge from these trying times as a stronger discipline than ever before. After reading the article by Poynter, I find myself feeling a little more optimistic about my chances in the job market. Poynter voiced the message that many in the journalism field have gotten behind; once we figure out how to use the internet and social networking to our advantage, there are endless possibilities in regards to building the industry back up. Let's just hope that the industry perks back up after next school year.

2 comments:

  1. Times are tough. But they are for a lot of industries. Keep pushing yourself to do more, get better, and be prepared, and you should do just fine. Journalism will survive - but it's going to be much more lean than it was 10 years ago. There won't be room for bad journalism. You've got to be ready to get out there and do great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg,
    After talking with you Wednesday (Oct. 28), I noticed this ad in the Big Rapids Pioneer newspaper:
    Do you think You can be a sportswriter?
    Think you have what it takes to do what we do? Can you take newspaper-quality sports pictures?
    If so, the Pioneer Group wants to hear from you.
    The Pioneer Group is always on the lookout for talented people who can help us cover the sports landscape in Lake, Mecosta and Osceola counties.
    If interested, e-mail sports editor Zeke Jennigs at zjennings@pioneergroup.net.

    This sounds like it could be perfect for you. What do you think? I'd jump right on it. I would also be sure to talk with Ben and Kelsey at the Torch if you intend to write for both. But I don't foresee any problem if you covered high school sports for the Pioneer.

    ReplyDelete