Thursday, October 1, 2009

Who the hell is TED?

After i visted the site TED.com, I was somewhat surprised. I didn't know there was a place to post intelligent video on the internet. Now don't get me wrong, i'm not a hater of youtube. I, like anyone else, enjoy watching stupid people engaging in stupid activity for my entertainment. But are we not dumbing ourselves down view by view? I think it's refreshing that there is a place where you can go to see videos that may just enhance your intelligence. I think the specific topic in the video that I watched on Ted was quite informative. I think the aspect of using twitter and other online services in to bypass opressive governements could be useful for individuals. Although i believe twitter is the most usless shit on the world, i think it can be an outlet for the people in this repressive countries. Posting updates about a war in your country is important, posting updates every ten min about where you're shopping is not. So now, I have a place to look for informative video. When i'm looking for some informative speak, i'm going to ted.But if i'm looking for a guy getting hit in the crotch, youtube is still there for me.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely would agree: there is room for both. My hope is that something like TED would also grow in popularity as YouTube has. There are some great videos there, providing the opportunity for real insight and learning at NO cost. I love that.
    On a side note, as a writer be careful to edit your posts to avoid spelling and grammatical mistakes on your blog. I'm not grading for grammar. However, as a writer you should consider every time you write an opportunity to hone your skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't write YouTube completely off the map as useless...I have found use for it in several ways, but my biggest use is definitely with music videos. Since music channels like MTV and VH1 cannot, in all seriousness, be called music channels anymore, artists have been forced to debut their music videos online, mostly on YouTube. Not only do popular musicians post their music videos on the site, but also relative unknowns. This allows unknown musicians a chance to get their sound noticed by record labels in ways they wouldn't be able to without YouTube. It has also led to an upsurge in creativity...without having to play by the rules of music channels, artists have really broken some boundaries artistically with some of their videos. Also, as an alternative to YouTube, you might want to check out Vimeo, another great site for "intelligent" videos. Vimeo sticks to creative videos submitted by the artists who make them and feature everything from straight-up art to music videos, short films, documentaries, and comedy.

    ReplyDelete